What diabetes supplies do I need?Depending on whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes?– you’ll need to purchase:
- A glucose meter
- Test strips
- Lancets to pierce your finger for a blood sample
- Urine test strips to measure ketone levels (for diabetics living with type 1 diabetes)
- Glucose tablets
- Emergency alert bracelet
Are there tips to help me be a smart shopper for diabetes supplies?
- Before you buy diabetes supplies, check for the best prices.
- Buy diabetes products from a highly reputable company and/or pharmacy.
- Always check the dates on diabetes drugs. Return any medication that are outdated or that may expire soon.
- Return glucose meters that are defective. You never know if a meter has been dropped or damaged during shipping, and you don’t want to risk your life on a faulty glucose meter.
- If test strips have been opened, return them for a new package that is unopened to ensure integrity.